Wednesday, November 30

DIY /// Laundry Detergent.


Inspired by my friend Jocelyn who recently made her own and this tutorial found on Amanda Soule's blog, I decided to make my own laundry detergent. Don't feel intimidated. For some reason, I did at first...'thinking' about making some for months and buying detergent from Target in between those thoughts. ha.ha. Finally, I decided to go for it!

Supplies:
1 1/2 cups of Borax (you can find this at Target or most grocery stores)
1 1/2 cups of  Arm and Hammer washing soda (I could not find this at Target, but did at the grocery)
1/2 cup of baking soda
1 bar of soap (anything will do but I used Canus goats milk lavender soap from Whole Foods)

Instructions:
  1. Gather supplies.
  2. Combine Borax, washing soda, and baking soda.
  3. Finely grate the bar of soap.
  4. Add grated soap to Borax mixture.
  5. Pour into a jar or container.


voila!

For every large load, I use approximately 3 tablespoons. It takes about 5 minutes to make, costs about $3, lasts us for several weeks, and it's all-natural. I love having the ability to just make more when I run out instead of  late night emergency runs to the market to purchase the pre-made stuff. Plus, all of the ingredients are multi-purpose. You can do it too, I promise! If you have any questions at all, feel free to comment or e-mail me.

-Amanda

1 comment:

  1. I have a 4 month old,with really sensitive skin. Do you think this would be good to use?

    ReplyDelete