Pecan Snowballs- Mmmm-mm-mmmmm. These cookies made it to my Christmas tradition list the first year of mine and David's marriage. They seem to be a hit... I sure think so. Now, these do have a bit of almond extract, and I realize that some people have an aversion to it but I highly recommend using it anyway. It adds a certain depth, cuts the sweetness just a bit, and sets it apart from every other joe schmoe pecan snowball out there.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup butter, room temp.
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast pecans for 5-8 mins depending on how toasty you want them to taste. Let cool, chop.
- Beat butter and 1 cup of the sugar. Add vanilla and almond extracts and salt.
- Add flour and stir in pecans.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for about 30 mins.
- Place half of the balls to another parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let them cool on baking sheets for 10 mins.
- Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a bowl and toss cookies. Just before serving, sift remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar over cookies.
I hope you enjoy these and have lots of powdered sugar coated lips to match!
Have a magical weekend!!